Vasari Corridor, Tuscan Window, Florence, Italy
The Corridor was built in 1564 by Giorgio Vasari, and it served to link Pitti Palace, where the Grand Duke resided, with the Uffizi where he worked. Vasari thus created a monumental urban “footpath” that took the absolute power of the ruler right into the historic heart of the city. It is a covered walk an overhead passageway that starts out from the West Corridor of the Gallery, heads towards the Arno and then, raised up by huge arches, follows the river as far as the Ponte Vecchio, which it crosses by passing on top of the shops. The meat market on the bridge was at this time transferred elsewhere, so as not to offend the Grand Duke’s sensitive nose with unpleasant smells on his walk, and replaced (from 1593) with the goldsmiths who continue to work there today. On the other side of the Arno, the corridor passes through the interior of the church of Santa Felicita, down the tops of the houses and the gardens of the Guicciardini family until it finally reaches the Boboli gardens (one of the exits stands beside Buontalenti’s Grotto) and the apartments in the Pitti Palace. The Corridor was restored and reopened to the public in 1973 but can only be visited by appointment or to groups. Apart from the fact that the visitor can enjoy some magnificent and little-known views over the city from its round windows, the passageway contains over 1000 paintings, all dating from the 17th and 18th centuries, as well as the important collection of self-portraits by some of the most famous master painters of the 16th to 20th centuries.